Saturday, July 9, 2011

Numero Uno.

For almost as long as I can remember I have had all sorts of uncomfortable and often debilitating symptoms that seemingly had no reason for being there. That is until I discovered my body could not tolerate gluten or small amounts of dairy.
Throughout high school I was plagued with headaches, joint pain, fatigue, and gastrointestinal problems. I always managed my symptoms as best I could and never sought any sort of medical help until my first year of university when they suddenly became entirely unmanageable.
Over time my symptoms became much worse. I saw doctor after doctor, each one telling me to eat more fibre. Of course that didn't help, it just made things worse. Finally, I found a doctor who decided to actually do some work. I tested negative for a gluten allergy but the doctor suggested I try cutting it out anyway. Within just a few weeks my monstrous migraines had completely disappeared, I was full of energy, had no joint pain, and my gastrointestinal issues were slowly improving. Of course this didn't happen overnight but even just after one week I could feel the difference.
It took 3 years of visiting doctors for one of them to finally suggest eliminating gluten from my diet. It has been just over a year now and I've never felt better. My suggestion to everyone out there thinking of cutting gluten from their diet: give it a try, you might be surprised. And to all of you out there feeling lost and confused: use the internet! It is a great learning tool. And, for the rest of you who enjoy baking your own gluten free goodies: stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment